I made an error with my on-line grocery shop the other day and ended up with an enormous amount of strawberries. Knowing how quickly they turn, I needed to make something that used up a decent amount of them (I really did over order). The traditional thing to do if you have too much of a fruit or vegetable, is to make chutney, pickles or jams, so that’s what I decided to do. I combined my extra strawberries with some raspberries to make a chia jam.
3 tbsp honey
4 tbsp chia seeds
– Top the strawberries and add them to a large pan with the honey
– Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the raspberries and continuing to simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the fruit is soft
– Add the chia seeds and stir well
– Continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens
– Allow to cool before pouring in to a jar
I sterilised my jam jar in the dishwasher, taking it straight from the dishwasher, pouring in the cooled jam and then sealing and putting it in the fridge (put on a heat proof mat if the bottom of the jar is still hot, so as not to crack the glass shelves of your fridge). It will keep for a week, if it lasts that long!